Wednesday, December 30, 2015

A year of blogging every week almost



Screencaps from some of this year's blogs


"Never talk about what you'll do, only talk about what you did."


I read that quote at the beginning of this year. It's from an article about the psychology of new year's resolutions. The article claimed that people who state what they plan to accomplish rarely follow through, while people who succeed at their resolutions only talk about them after they've accomplished them. It made sense to me. My new year's resolution was to up my creative output, so I decided I'd start a blog as a place to "talk about what I did".

Now, I had a blog. What I didn't have, was motivation. Then I heard about The Iron Blogger SF. It's a website where local bloggers can sign up to blog once a week. If they miss a week, they owe 5 bucks. Miss 6 weeks and you're out. Motivation: check! I signed up, and I promised myself I'd only post blogs of substance. No blogging about what I ate for breakfast, the song I'm really into right now, or the sweet new pants I just bought.

I started blogging and loved it! It was fun to post a little project and talk about the concept or process. It started to get a bit challenging though, when my career took a bizarre left turn. I transitioned from modeling into hair simulations, then after Dreamworks shut down I moved out of film industry altogether and ended up in the tech industry as a generalist. Lots of learning, not a lot of time for new projects. A brutal crunch at work caused me to miss blogging for 5 weeks straight. That meant one more missed blog and I was out.

One cool thing about blogging was looking at the blog statistics. The most viewed blogs were about our weird family portraits, my wife's diet and the nightmare weekend I spent with a pool. The least popular were about my little Crabbot model and a Nanoloop song

So this is it! The last blog! I pulled it off! Now that it's done I can proudly say I accomplished my new years resolution of 2015! I'm super proud of my little motivation of a blog. If you've read any of my posts this year, thanks so much for being a part of it! I'm also crazy proud of the other bloggers who also managed an entire year of blogging once a week. You guys are incredibly inspirational!

No comments:

Post a Comment