Monday, March 23, 2015

Family Portraits

We decided we didn't want standard "Sears" style family portraits and instead committed to doing semi-annual family portraits based around a theme.

Baby Godzilla!!!


My wife and I are tall and we have a HUGE baby girl. I thought it was fitting then that we do a Godzilla themed shoot. We made a small set in our garage. My wife sponge painted the buildings, Jeremy Moe took the photos and I did the compositing.





Bedtime Stories


The concept was to play with orientation and gravity. I wanted to do it all in-camera, no photoshop tricks. I attached elements of Cammi's nursery to the wall in our garage with screws, thread and a glue-gun. Jeremy Moe climbed up into the loft above our garage and took the photo top-down. The only photoshopping in the final image was the wallpaper (It's shockingly expensive).

The set from ground level

Mistakes Happen


This concept was a simple seated portrait that someone could glance at for a split second before their gaze ricochets onto the next thing. But if they really look, they start to notice stuff is wrong. There are 15 "mistakes" total in the image. I chose a lodge setting as an excuse to get a bunch of junk in the scene and give me more to work with. I built a set in our garage and did as much as I could practical, then photoshopped the rest. I've included a cheat sheet.


These photos are a great excuse to be creative as a family and do a fun project together. I look forward to the day Cammi is old enough to come up with her own concept. I can't imagine what a little kid would come up with, but I bet it would be surreal.

4 comments: