Saturday, February 6, 2016

Moongirl

I spent most of my career as a modeler, so most people aren't aware that I started my career as an animator. I joined the studio Laika as an intern animating on the short film Moongirl directed by Henry Sellick (Nighmare before christmas, Coraline). I was a "secondary animator" which meant I animated non-character elements. Specifically, I animated most of the fishing line in the short, along with rope, chains, and anything else the characters interacted with. It wasn't glamorous, but it was a foot in the door.



I still get a nostalgia high from this short...

It was an inspirational time in my life. I sat next to Travis Knight, the current head of the studio and son of Nike founder Phil Knight. Travis is an incredible animator and he mentored me on the short. In addition to his help, Sellick was incredibly generous with his time, to the point that he would literally draw string poses with frame numbers to help me nail the animation. I often worked late and sometimes, after everyone else had left, Henry would bring a small amp out of his office. He'd plug it in next to me, sit on top of it and play the blues on an electric guitar while he closed his eyes and plotted the script to Coraline.




1 comment: