Monday, July 6, 2015

A song in seven difficult days

Our daughter was a challenging birth. My wife pushed for hours till the doctors called it and performed a C-section. There were complications and we ended up staying in the hospital for 10 days straight, right through Christmas and new years. My wife was bedridden and my daughter slept 20 hours out of every day. I spent most of the time awake in case I was needed, and if I fell asleep I'd be woken up with in the hour by a feeding or diaper change. I was ecstatic to have a baby girl, but since her and my wife slept most of the time, the boredom became palpable. Within the first 3 days I'd built an impenetrable minecraft fortress on my phone and was over it.

Come at me bro!

That's when I discovered FL Studio was on the iphone so I downloaded it and figured it out. I was playing with 7th chords and wondered what would happen if you made a song entirely out of them but only the bass played the root note and the melody picked up the other 3 notes. Turns out it sounds a bit unsettling. Based on that concept I made this song over the next 7 days. Also, thanks to Andy Heitz for the fantastic caricature he once drew of me on a cafe napkin at 2am.


No comments:

Post a Comment