Monday, April 6, 2015

Family Portrait- Mistakes happen


I've been stewing on this idea for over a year. A simple seated portrait that someone could glance at for a split second before their gaze ricochets onto the next thing. But if you really look, you start to notice stuff is wrong. I was inspired by the old hidden image puzzles in Highlights magazine. There are 15 "mistakes" total in the image. I chose a lodge setting as an excuse to get a bunch of junk in the scene and give me more to work with. I built a set in our garage and did as much as I could practical, then photoshopped the rest. I won't go into the details because "spoilers" but if you want a cheat sheet, I've included it at the bottom of the blog.


I can say without a doubt that this was the most difficult shoot we've done so far. Less because of the setup and more because we have a toddler...



Special thanks to Santino Lascano who gave me composition advice, Eric Lyman who came over at 8am to actually pull the trigger, Jeremy Moe who lent me his camera gear and all the friends who gave me feedback and ideas.


That last one is borderline impossible, even with the hint. Good luck!

1 comment: